1. Be wary of the spelling errors that spell checkers tend to miss out.
A few such mistakes are:
- Cite vs. sight
- Counsel vs. council
- Aid vs. aide
- Flair vs. flare
- Weary vs. wary
Generally, such words come under the category of homophones that are pronounced same but differ in meaning and spelling.
2. Pay special heed to your possessives. For instance,
- • It’s = it is, while; Its = possessive form of ‘it’.
- • Czechs = plural of Czech; Czech’s = possessive form of a singular Czech person, but; Czechs’ = possessive form of plural Czech persons
3. Learn your plurals
- • Singular = Index, while; Plural = Indices
- • Singular = Data; Plural = Datum.